Intellectual Property (IP) Law in China:
Preparing for the risks and opportunities
The Edmonton Hong Kong Canada Business Association and the Government of Alberta are pleased to invite you to our first lunch and lea rn of 2017! This learning opportunity will include a keynote address from Dave Hancock, former Premier of Alberta, who will speak to IP fear and commercialization, followed by a panel discussion featuring Parlee McLaws intellectual property lawyers, Peter Wong, Kirsten Oates and Sarah Ng. You will have the opportunity to get your questions answered firsthand following the keynote speech and panel discussion. A buffet lunch is included with the ticket purchase.
$40/ticket, for HKCBA Members
$55/ticket, for Non-Members
(includes individual HKCBA membership until April 2018, $80 value)
$240/table of 6, for HKCBA Members
$350/table of 6, for Non-Members
(includes corporate HKCBA membership until April 2018, $280 value)
The presentation will provide an overview of trademark and patent law in China, and information on how businesses can protect their brands and technology when doing business in China.
Keynote Address: IP Fear and Commercialization in China
Speaker: Dave Hancock, QC
Counsel with Dentons LLP and Former Premier of Alberta. Dave is a member of Dentons’ Corporate group with a practice focused on corporate and commercial law.
Panel Discussion Detail
- A brief overview of Chinese trademark and patent law, including trends in filing and litigation
- Substantive requirements for trademark registration and patent application filing in China
- The process and estimated costs of trademark registration and patent application process
- A brief discussion of enforcement options
- Peter S.L. Wong, B.Sc. (Eng.), M.A.Sc., LL.B. is an intellectual property lawyer (Alberta) and a registered Canadian and U.S. patent agent at Parlee McLaws LLP.
- Sarah R. Ng, B.Sc., J.D. is an intellectual property lawyer (Alberta and Saskatchewan), a registered Canadian trademark agent, and a registered Canadian patent agent at Parlee McLaws LLP.
- Kirsten M. Oates, B.Sc., M.Sc., is a registered Canadian and U.S. patent agent at Parlee McLaws LLP, with experience in the life sciences sector.